The Monumental Loop is a 330 mile bike route in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It was created by Matt Mason and Pablo Lopez. About 20 people have biked the entire route. I decided I wanted to try to run the route. It comprises the 150 mile Northern Loop, and the 180 mile Southern Loop. I am the first person to run the entire route.
I was lucky enough to connect with them Matt beforehand when I realized I would be the first runner to attempt the entire route. Brad and I were looking for a route he could cycle, I could run. We were initially looking for about 100 miles but things quickly escalated and my heart quickly got attached to the Monumental Loop. Before I knew it I had begged my forgiving boss for more time off, booked some flights, and headed to Las Cruces, New Mexico.
- ML Day 1: Las Cruces to Dona Anas – the vomit that smells of grape
- ML Day 2: Dona Anas to the dairy
- ML Day 3: Las Ulvas-Robledo. Becoming at one with the cows.
- ML Day 4: Northern Loop complete!
- ML Day 5: Las Cruces to near Texas
- Day 6: Into the Pain Cave, into the volcano we go
- Day 7: Cone Country. A Brief Reprieve.
- ML Day 8: 40 miles back to Las Cruces
- ML: Reflections – Logistics
- ML final reflections: ‘The earth remains, and the heartbreaking beauty where there are no hearts to break’